Saturday 24 January 2015

Day Eight - Khao Sok to Khao Lak - the final 57kms!


And so here it was.  The final day and I cant tell you how excited I was to cycle into Baan Tharn Namchai where I had left Tommy and Ange over 10 days before.  Not least, I was excited to see all the children and staff at BTN when this record number of 102 riders arrived to begin the celebrations. 

We stopped first at the Temple at Tekuapa which was the site where Peter Baines had first arrived 10 years ago to help identify and repatriate thousands of bodies that were found after the Tsunami.  I had last been there in April for the cremation of beautiful Ton Kaow who drowned tragically last year. 


And then came the amazing ride into BTN, everyone lining the roads to greet us.  I certainly did feel a bit of a hero, and Tom had helped paint all the flags for the riders. 







It was like a huge family reunion.  The children performed for us, the riders given garlands of flowers to wear.  So many radiant faces, so much love and joy and, as usual, fabulous food! 














I so did not want this day to end.  And indeed there was more to come with the Celebration Party in the evening at the Pullman hotel.  Checking into our luxury accommodation for the next few days was very welcome and we were ready to party with the children.  I was happy to have "my boys" back and we laughed and cuddled and danced like crazy.  



Hosted by Frankie Stevens, the party was fun.  We danced and laughed and then all let off lanterns on the beach, to remember the poor souls that had perished ten years before, a sobering reminder of indeed why we are all here. 



2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your warm account of your second homecoming and also seeing the photos of your riding comrades. Congratulations Nickie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations my dear friend, so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete